Quick facts about Camelthorn:
– 1 hour small plane charter from Victoria Falls or Bulawayo
– 4 hour road transfer from Victoria Falls or Bulawayo
– 2 hour road transfer from Victoria Falls to Dete and then a 2.5 hour rail car transfer from Dete Railway Station
– Camelthorn is situated in one of Hwange’s last remaining well-protected and unspoiled acacia woodlands, on the edge of the South Eastern corner of Hwange National Park
– The main lodge is unique in its style and design and has as its centre piece a huge ancient Camelthorn tree that spans a 35-metre outdoor dining area
– Accommodation: 8 luxuriously furnished forest villas that are cool in the hot months and warm and cosy in the cold months.
– Each villa has a private en-suite bathroom with a bath and feature window overlooking the woodland, large shower, closed off toilet, fireplace, a private ground level deck, upstairs outdoor maisonette with hammock and day bed and electricity by diesel/solar generator.
– The woodlands surrounding the forest villas are dotted with small water baths that attract some of the smaller and less destructive woodland creatures – bushbuck, mongoose, squirrels and an abundance of interesting and colourful birdlife
– Less than a kilometre away from the lodge and inside Hwange National Park, the Owners have built an underground hide in front of a beautifully located waterhole – elephants can be photographed from toe level silhouetted against the sky at a distance of 25 feet. Such close proximity to Hwange’s giants is truly breathtaking!
– The friendly and knowledgeable guides will take you on walks or drives inside this truly wild and remote region of Hwange National Park, famous for its giants, the elephants, as well as a plethora of different wildlife
– Other activities include all day ‘pump runs’, night drives and school and village visits
– In-house spa treatments available at an additional charge – prices and treatment options available on request